Here’s a tip for improving your auditions:
Focus on what you are saying, not on how you sound.
I often hear from voice actors in my workshops that they spend too much time trying to guess (and then second guess!) what the direction really means… trying to please the invisible client to win the job!
There’s often a lot of energy wasted on trying to figure out how you’re supposed to “sound” or “perform”.
So instead, start here: Focus on the message.
As a commercial voiceover actor, your job is not to please or to sell anything to anyone. Remember your job is to communicate the brand’s message in a way that will resonate with their audience!
Try this tip on your next audition and see if it changes your delivery.
Thoughts or questions? Send me an email!
For more tips and individualized feedback, join our next workshop on December 7th:
VO PRO COMMERCIAL WORKSHOP
“Creating Successful Auditions”
Saturday, December 7th
• Directed by Elaine Craig
In this Commercial VO Workshop you’ll learn, apply and get immediate feedback on strategies proven to boost your audition confidence & success.
– Successfully Self Direct (with more confidence & time efficiency!)
– Think Like a Copywriter (& the questions to ask yourself)
– Decode Direction (Conversational? Confident? What they really mean)
– Stand out from the Crowd (By engaging the listener immediately)
– Bring Your Best (be more relaxed & fully present in any booth situation)
“Fantastic workshop! Lots of booth time and great, informative feedback. Elaine helps you see the process from the client’s side and arms you with insights and exercises that will yield immediate results”. – Jonathan Bray – VO Pro Workshop