6 sessions on Tuesday evenings, with fun exercises, professional resources, and feedback will take you from the basics of learning to speak in an accent to using it confidently.
Each session will have a 15 minutes of guided warm up, and over an hour of teaching, with a short break to allow for good concentration and energy, and plenty of time for questions and support.
In 2021, Stephen Liddle is again running this exciting and supportive course. Tuesdays 7.15pm (UK Time) to 9pm , from 27th of April to 25th May.
Stephen is fully DBS checked. A full money back guarantee is offered.
Week 1 (27th April) – The basics
- What is an accent
- How sounds work in language and accents
- Boosting awareness of sounds and how you create them
Week 2 (4th May) – Case study – French
- How seven steps build an accent
- How language changes in patterns – lexicons and groupings
- Finding and working with a sample voice
- Tips for making notes on pronunciation
Week 3 (11th May) – Case Study – American
- Using technology to work with sample voices in more depth
- Authentic accents vs exaggerated accents
- The importance of taking it slow
- Coping with local variation and differing backgrounds
Week 4 (18th May) – Case Study – Northern British
- Changing pace, rhythm, and adjusting to circumstances
- More on notes and the International Phonetic Alphabet
- Working with target texts
- Starting supported Individual practice
Week 5 (25th May) – Supported individual practice
- Work on your choice of accent and text with support
- Emphasis on feedback and reviewing
- Extra opportunities to ask questions
- Detailed feedback
Week 6 (1st June)- Recap, final polish, and Showcase
- Checking you have all you need to continue with accent work
- Suggesting future paths
- We hope you will participate in a session that shows off your new found skills
- Virtual presentation of certificates
The course will be taught over Zoom. Alternative connections will be made available for anyone who cannot use zoom.