075 The Vocal Empowerment Series – Nic Chats to Samara Bay!
Hosted By: Nic Redman
From: The Voice Coach Podcast
My guest Samara Bay is an Author, Coach, Podcast Host and International Speaker. We delve into Samara’s passion for studying accents and their origins, how we relate to the sounds we hear, and how we are socially conditioned to think about them. We talk about the social phenomena of judging and being judged by how we sound, and what it really means to sound like our true self.
Samara also talks about her experience of losing her voice in her 20s, shares her thoughts on vocal empowerment and tips on how to embrace it.
What You Will Learn In This Episode:
– Which factors contribute to an accent’s existence, acceptance, and judgement
– The stories that fictional characters tell us just by the way they sound
– Why some accents make us automatically think of a dumb, intelligent, or tricky person
– Why it seems easier to create a vocal persona instead of sounding like our true self
– About the cultural mandate of hiding what we care about